Voice Over Coach
Voice over performers are hired for their highly competent interpretive skills derived from training and coaching with a highly experienced professional. John Burr is such a voice over coach. His expert instruction helps you to begin or continue a career in the expanding voice over industry, as you
- Study the dynamics of script interpretation
- Develop your understanding of language dynamics
- Learn how to control the parameters of pace, pitch, pause, emotion and volume
- Perfect your mike technique
- Build confidence in your ability to handle audition and project scenarios
Basic Voice Over Skills
What Basic Skills Do You Need to Qualify as a Voice Over Student?
- A natural acting flair; the more flair, the more versatile your demo.
- Rock-solid reading comprehension and a substantial working vocabulary.
- A reasonably good understanding of English language dynamics and sentence structure.
- A careful and purposeful listener.
- A knack for imitation.
- A fertile mind, and the capacity to fantasize and imagine communication scenarios.
- The native ability to identify with people, their problems, and their needs: empathy.
- A pleasing, relaxed voice with personality, & the “bite” to carry over music and soundfx.
- A strong sense of pace and timing.
- A delivery free of regional accents, except for special acting situations.
Where to Begin
First, an evaluation session should be scheduled to determine your level of ability. If the outcome of the evaluation is positive, a coaching strategy will be recommended that best fits your voiceover training needs.
For the beginning student, I recommend and require a two-hour in-depth analysis of your basic talent, cold reading ability, acting and interpretive instincts, mastery of diction, and your working knowledge of many technical parameters, such as pace, pause, pitch, and timbre considerations, as well as comprehension of redundancy and points of emphasis. You will be given 15 short commercial and 15 narration scripts to deliver that make up a a varied mix of most of the bread-and-butter categories that are characteristic of the marketplace.
You will receive a written evaluation, which will also be explained to you in the last half-hour of the session. The evaluation gets you off on a solid footing, as you and and John know your strengths and areas that need work, and we will have determined whether or not you have the basic skills to pursue a voice over career.
The fee for the evaluation: 175.00
You may also call us at 941-378-0021, or email us at email@example.com today to schedule your evaluation or a free consultation.
Another Option: Voice Over Basics Workshop
Before we do the evaluation, you can try the process out in our Voiceover Basics Workshop, where you will get a good feeling for the studio environment, without committing serious money. You will have an opportunity to work with John Burr and assess your comfort level with voice over performing, in comfortable surroundings.
The cost for the 6 hour class: 125.00
For the aspiring voice over performer, one-on-one sessions provide the most efficient means of learning script interpretation.
Enrollment is limited and by evaluation only.
Private sessions usually require a minimum of twelve one-hour sessions.
One-on-one class materials include reference books, script set and instructional CD.
What You'll Learn
- The opportunities that exist for you in this field
- How the business works and how to succeed
- The studio scenario and protocols
- How to handle auditions
- How to interpret and deliver commercial scripts
- How to interpret and deliver narration scripts
- How to analyze sentences to understand points of emphasis
- How to get fantasize delivery scenarios
- How to achieve and sustain focus
- How to market yourself on the internet, and how to pursue local, state and national clientele
As you progress through your training, John will further analyze your abilities beyond commercial and narration: audiobooks, characters, medical/technical delivery, accents, and other areas.
CD Lesson Aids
In addition to the scripts provided for the lesson series, we have a number of fully produced scripts with professional voice over talent, music and sound effects to serve as lesson aids in learning by example. These are made available as printed scripts with accompanying CD’s of the complete soundtrack, at minimal cost. These are optional enhancements to the learning process.